The Small Claims Court is a branch of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. The monetary jurisdiction of the Ontario Small Claims Court is $25,000.00. Small Claims Court can handle any action for the payment of money or the recovery personal property where the claim amount does not exceed $25,000.00
Here are some Small Claims Court scenarios:
- You have been abruptly terminated and seek severance money from your former employer.
- You have suffered injuries or damages to your property for which you wish to be compensated.
- You have performed a job and have not been paid.
- You are being sued for breaching a contract.
- Your contractor did defective work or was negligent in their performance causing damages.
- You want to have your invoice paid.
- You purchased defective goods.
- You have not been paid back the money that you lent to someone.
Covey Paralegal Service can represent Plaintiffs or Defendants. Plaintiff representation includes drafting of claims and filing of documents, process serving, representation at settlement conferences and trials. Defendant representation includes drafting defences, filing Defendant Claims, representation and advocacy at settlement conferences and trial.
Covey Pararalegal will provide full small claims court services including preparation of:
- Plaintiff’s Claim
- List of Proposed Witnesses
- Notice of Motion
- Affidavit of Service
- Affidavit of Jurisdiction
- Certificate of Judgment
- Defendant’s Claim
- Request to Clerk
- Notice of Examination
- Default Judgment
- Notice of Garnishment
CPS will represent you at all small claims court hearings including:
- Settlement Conferences
- Terms of Payment Hearings
- Assessment Hearings
- Judgment Debtor Examination